School Lunches...

Against all my better judgement, I decided over the last month, to try to let Dylan buy his own lunch at school, not every day, but once or twice a week.
I say it was against my better judgement because school lunches are beyond bad for you.

Nowadays, you add money to your child's account, and at lunchtime, they type in their code and then the lady lets them pick their lunch. When the account gets low, they send you an email saying you are low on funds.

So, this morning I told Dylan he could buy his lunch from school. But when I picked him up, he was starving, and thirsty. I asked him what happened, and he tells me this story.

He gets to the front of the line, and the lunch lady has him type in his code. He said he typed it in, and the lunch lady didn't even ask him what he wanted, but instead shoved at him a plain cheese sandwich & a carton of milk. Let me say that by "plain cheese sandwich" I mean 2 pieces of white bread with a piece of american cheese in the middle. He told me that he went to his table, almost in tears, and wondered why he had to have that and all the other kids got to choose grilled cheese sandwiches or cheeseburgers. He said the sandwich was gross, and he hates milk, so he threw the whole thing away and didn't eat.

When I found out, I called and found out that he only had $1 on his account, and not the $2.75 it costs for lunch. I was furious. Why didn't they send me the appropriate email saying my funds were low? Why wouldn't they tell Dylan that the funds were low and that was why they were giving him a plain cheese sandwich? Why would they just let him wonder why he didn't get a good lunch? Are they robots who don't care about out kids and are jut programmed to hand out food? I don't think this is acceptable at all. If you're working with kids, you should care about the kids. If she had said this to Dylan, he could have chosen to go into the office and call me, so I could have brought him something decent for lunch. Instead he had to go from 11 am to 2:30, starving.

Needless to say, the first thing they see Monday morning will be my email. And Dylan will never be buying lunch from school again.

Grrr....don't mess with Mama Bear.

No comments: